Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Right now, I honestly want to read that book!

Hello Everyone!

I hope you all are doing well and are enjoying this lovely summer weather. Things have tempered down a little here, which is a blessing! We just enjoy every good weather day and bad weather day too! Life is awesome :)

This week was FULL of funny moments. Sister Bishop is such a hoot! I really admire her ability to laugh at herself and not take life too seriously. We were out tracting this week and we were talking to this old lady who wasn't exactly the friendlies person on the block, and Sister Bishop was kinda nervous and asked her if she was home alone. The lady was super creeped out, and we both almost started laughing after we realized what she had accidentally said. I still get a good chuckle out of that one :p

This week we also had to find someone to confirm one of our investigators in church. Since I drive, Sister Bishop was the one texting people and she accidentally texted a lady in our ward instead of the person she meant to (for those of you who don't know, only men in our church hold the priesthood to do that). What made it even more funny was the message was worded like, "Would you be comfortable doing that in church Sunday?" so it sounded like we were serious! ha ha luckily everything worked out and we found someone who did a great job!

We saw lots of little miracles throughout our days. It was neat to see how the Lord placed us in people's path at the precise time they needed us. We have been talking with one of our neighbors, and on Friday, we pulled up to our apartment at the EXACT time she did. It was fun to talk to her. The next morning, the same thing happened, and it was kinda creepy and hilarious at the same time!

We were at the house of a less active family and we were helping them clean. We were talking to the 7 year old and 5 year old daughters who were with us. We asked the 7 year old what her favorite thing to do is, and she said, "right now, it's honestly to read that book", that book meaning the children Book of Mormon book. We both about fell over! I just love the innocence of children. It made my heart so happy to hear her love for the scriptures from a young age. We hope to help them continue that!

It's funny because you normally face opposition between a baptism and confirmation, but this week was the most I've ever seen on my mission thus far. Our investigator who just got baptized faced a lot of trouble with her mom and the cops this past week. We weren't sure if she was going to be able to be confirmed still, but alas, God is more powerful than man, and it worked out beautifully! Her husband got his work schedule rearranged so he will be able to come to church with her for a while now. So exciting! We hope to start working with him soon. Keep them in your prayers!

Life is great, the work is hard work, but it truly is sweet labor! I love my Savior. I'm so grateful for the love and patience He has for each of us as we learn to do our best to follow Him and His example. God is in control. Thanks again for everything you do to make someone's life a little better or easier. Our efforts do not go unnoticed by God. Keep it up!

Lots of love and support,
Sister Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment