Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

June 8th The work rolls on

Hello everyone!

I hope this letter finds you all well. You are in my prayers often!

This week was pretty great! I can hardly believe it was only a week ago we got to hear from Elder Christofferson. What a blessing!

On Thursday we had to go to this meeting and I was a little nervous about it. We stopped at Chic Fil A before for lunch. When we got up to the window, they asked us if we wanted an ice cream cone because they had accidentally made an extra. It was such a simple thing, but I know it was the Lord reminded me He loved me and knew me and it was all going to work out! Think of it: we came during lunch, the busiest time, and of all the cars they could've given it to, they chose ours! Wow! Heavenly Father truly takes care of His missionaries :)

A highlight from this week was we got to have a mini missionary come out with us! She is 16 and in a nearby ward. It was so great. She was such a great example of thoughtfulness and had such a wonderful testimony to share with those we talked with. She was definitely exhausted by the end. I don't know how we do what we do as missionaries when it is literally so exhausting. We couldn't do it if we weren't truly supported by God.

This week we started teaching this woman who's had a broad religious background. Somehow we got talking about the temple and I told her about the peace that I feel when I'm there and the love. You can just feel it is a house of God. She paused for a moment and then proceeded to tell us that she's never felt that way, but has always wanted to. Sometimes I am amazed by the truths I have always taken for grated. People really are searching for things I've known my whole life. I love this gospel! What a blessing to be a part of this!

So exciting news! Lulu and her husband came to church so they could talk with Bishop before their wedding this Saturday! While talking with Bishop, she decided she wants to be baptized this Sunday with 2 of our other investigators getting baptized! Wow! We're so excited for them! It never ceases to amaze me that if we simply do our little part, the Lord will magnify our work so much.

You have to understand something about Lulu and why she is such a miracle. Last transfer was pretty slow and honestly it was really hard on me. We couldn't get a hold of her for the first 3-4 weeks. One day before we tried to see her, I said a prayer and told Heavenly Father that if we couldn't see her that day, we weren't going to try teaching her any more. Well, we got in, and it was the perfect timing for her, and her life is changed forever because of it. Wow. This is God's work! It will roll forward.

I love you all! Keep on giving all that you give, loving all you love, and sharing light with those around you. Have a super day!

Lots of love and support,
Sister Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment