Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Memorial Day

Hello Everyone!

I hope you had a good Memorial day! We had a great day exploring St Louis and doing lots of shopping and walking.

So we had the brilliant idea one afternoon to take the bus to the community college to talk to people. When we got there, we discovered that school was out, and not a soul was in sight. After walking around and trying to find people, we decided to head back to our bus stop. Sister Dahlberg has this goal for us to sing at District Meeting some day, so we decided to practice. It was getting dark and we were alone. We sang "I am a Child of God" and then sang "When I'm Baptized". As we headed toward the bus stop, I made the comment to sister Dahlberg that I didn't want to sit in the creepy bus enclosure, so we should go sit at the bench instead. Well out of no where we hear this ominous "MUAHAHAHA!" Not thinking, I sprint off toward the bench, and realize that it's just this guy laughing, unseen by us, in the bus stop enclosure. I look back and see that Sister Dahlberg had dropped to the floor with her arms over her head. Too funny! We ended up talking with the guy, who had heard us singing and everything the whole time. He asked us to sing for him. We ended up getting his number and address. It just goes to show that you really never do know who's watching you, or listening to you :)

We have some investigators who've been struggling to make it to church. We decided to have a lesson with them about the light of the Savior. We light a candle below the picture of Christ, and read the talk from Elder L. Whitney Clayton about 7 year old Sailor Gutzler's experience making her way from the plane crash wreckage to safety by following a light. (click here for the full article).The thing that stood out to me the most was that there were times on the journey where Sailor couldn't see the light. She had to just keep walking and trusting that she was headed in the right direction. That is such a parable to life! We can't always see the Savior. Sometimes we have to trust in His promises and keep walking. As we do so we will find safety, regardless of the storm we have faced, or our condition.

This week we talked with our investigator who's a young mom about a lot of the different commandments. She had a hard time understanding WHY we needed to do all of the different thing. we talked a lot about the importance of being in a condition we can heed the promptings of the spirit. I told her about an opportunity I had earlier in my life where I felt as though I needed to pray for someone right then and there and hard. It wasn't until later that I discover that this person had been severely struggling, and right when I prayed they were able to get needed help. I asked her what would have happened if I had been drunk or not listening? The next day when we came back she courageously smashed all of her cigarettes! It was amazing to see what people are willing to do once they have tasted of the Savior's love for them and the happiness that comes from following in His ways.

I love my Savior! I am so grateful for the time I have to represent Him and serve His children! Don't be afraid to share the gospel! It brings the greatest blessings to us and those around us. Share the Savior's love! Love is the most important ingredient in our lives: love of God, and love of fellow man. Have a wonderful week! Keep up all of the good you do :)

Lots of love and support,
Sister Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment