Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

June 2, 2015 Drum roll please

Hello Everyone!

I hope this letter finds you happy and well. Things are going so well here in St Louis Missouri! Today marks 11 months of my wonderful privilege of representing my Savior Jesus Christ to my brothers and sisters here. Wow! Time is flying :)

So this week, Sister Dahlberg roped us into singing for District Meeting this week, which also happened to be President Interviews... But you've got to understand, NEITHER OF US SINGS! All week we practiced as we were driving between appointments. Well, the big day came and we were feeling quite giggly and nervous. We did really well! Except for when I started laughing before the ending part... other than that it was quite a success I would say. Check! Done with that one. We must have been at least half way decent because our Zone leaders called after and asked if they could record us singing at our next district meeting. Sister Dahlberg said, "But I'm so tone deaf!" Our thoughtful Zone leader said, "You're not tone DEAF, you guys just have some tonal issues..." hahaha

So guess who's planning a wedding?! We are! We are helping our investigator Lulu get married! That's definitely one thing I didn't think I'd have to do on my mission.... It's been great though! She's from Africa and has decided to do an Tanzanian themed wedding (that's the country she's from). It's been exciting and a tad stressful, but mostly just fun :) We have 11 more days to get it all figured out. Oh and I forgot to mention that she wants us to be her bridesmaids. Another thing I didn't think I'd do on my mission :) Fun stuff!

This week was truly remarkable! We were able to find lots of new investigators and see miracles. I love being a missionary! Yesterday our mission got to hear from Elder D Todd Christofferson and his sweet wife. They had come to a Stake conference (in my last Stake!) and had extended their trip long enough to talk to us. Wow! It was an answer to so many of my prayers. I had a break through, which was really good.

For those of you who don't know, I've honestly struggled for a long time to see myself the way God sees me. Its so easy to compare ourselves with others (WHICH IS NEVER A GOOD IDEA!) Well, I've been praying about this and fasting and studying for a while. At the conference I was reminded to not take my value from being "better than others", but rather to look to the Savior, and the price He paid for me, and each one of us, and take my value from that. I am valuable not because of who I am, but because of who Christ is and how much He think's I'm worth. I have been so much happier since then! We truly have infinite worth!!

Elder Christofferson said something that I really want to share with you. He said, "Don't go home and think 'I've served the Lord faithfully, and He owes me.'" He talked about how now we're in even greater debt because of the blessing it is to serve God. It's so true! I can't even put a price on the lessons I've learned during these short months as a missionary. I will forever be blessed because I made this decision to come.

I love you all! As my Dad would say, " the church is true, we have a Savior that loves us, what else matters?"

Lots of love and support,
Sister Janea Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment