Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

June 15, 2015 A wedding, a baptism and a baby

Hello Everyone!

I hope you are all enjoying swimming in pools, eating popsicles, and wearing shorts. We are enjoying filling up baptismal fonts, eating free custard (we get for being missionaries), and wearing short sleeved blouses :) Life is great here in Webster Groves! This was the busiest week of my mission, but also one of the best!

This week started off super intense with a lesson with Lulu who was supposed to be baptized on Sunday. We discovered some concerns she had that had never come up before. When we left the lesson, we were both praying so hard! We were so concerned for her and wanted to be able to help her the best we could. After lots of pondering and prayer, the next day we came back and her spirit had changed. She had read the Book of Mormon and it had resolved her questions and concerns. We tried explaining things more to her, but she just said, "You don't get it. I get it. I was just being stubborn. If this is what God wants, it's right." Wow. We left with tears of gratitude in our eyes. It was amazing to see that this truly is God's work. We do VERY little of it.

On Sunday Lulu was married! It was so great! I wish you could've been there to see it. Let me tell you, it was HILARIOUS to watch 2 sister Missionaries try to orchestrate the whole thing. Somehow things worked out. We didn't have time to plan out all the little details, so we just winged things as they came our way! "We need a knife to cut the cake" (me and sister Dahlberg sprinting as quickly as you can in a church building to get a knife), "We need music for them to walk down the isle to" (us waving frantically to a member who played the piano well enough to play for a few minutes of a wedding), "Wait, my friends haven't gotten here yet" (us walking back up the isle to see if her friends had arrived yet). The important thing is it all worked out! And we had fun and a lot of pictures to prove it :)

We also had 2 baptisms on Sunday for a Mother and her son! It was great. The ward came out to support them. It was awesome to see :) Baptisms are so great! We had a mini fiasco with filling up the font. We had asked the Elders how long it took, and they said, "Only about an hour". Well, an hour and a half before the baptism, when we start filling the font, the primary president says, "It takes HOURS to fill the font!" We kinda panic, and turn on the water up all the way, regardless of the temperature because we just need it full! Well, the controls were on the men's side of the font, so I had to wade through the font to get to the controls to turn it up. It was only up to my ankles, but it was pretty hilarious! That's the closest I'll get to swimming in a pool for 7 more months :P

So you're probably wondering why there's a baby in the subject line. During all of this craziness we also had transfer calls. It turns out that Sister Dahlberg will be leaving and going to Illinois, and I will be staying here in Webster Groves and training! That means I will be in this ward for 6 months! I'm nervous and excited. It will be great I'm sure :)

The Lord is so good! One night this week I was laying in bed and praying about something, and I couldn't help but asking, "Does this really matter to you Heavenly Father? I just need to know." The next day when I was having my personal study, I was reading in the doctrine and covenants and the scriptures were a DIRECT answer to my prayer, followed by a verse about how God knows we have need of things even before we ask. WOW. What a direct answer! I love my Savior. I love this work! Have a great week.

Lots of love and support,
Sister Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment