Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Sunday, October 19, 2014

We saw Meet the Mormons

Hello everyone!

This past week was chock full of great stuff. We had transfers on Wednesday, so we spent the day driving to and from St. Louis for transfers meeting. It was pretty crazy. 6 hours in a car! The good news was it gave Sister Willmore and I time to get to know each other. She's from Logan, Utah, and has been out the same amount of time as my previous companion, Sister Barret. She's awesome! It's fun getting to know a new companion.

Things in Paris are going well. The work is moving forward slowly but surely. We had a LEGIT hayride on Saturday. We were pulled by a tractor around his farm for like a 20-30 minute ride. It was way fun! We had a bunch of less actives come. It was at our Branch Mission Leader's house. He's so on fire it's crazy! He was going to paint a cow green and have it chase me since he knows I'm scared of cows, but luckily his wife has my back, so he didn't. Oh man!

Another funny story: So in branch council on Sunday, our Branch President told us about the time him and his son were pulling weeds around the house and he looks over and sees his son SWINGING A SNAKE around his head! Like a 3 foot long snake! He asked his son what he was doing and his son answers all nonchalant, "Just getting rid of the snake!" He threw it in a tree. Oh man! Country life is just awesome!

We had mission conference yesterday (hence the late email). It was so awesome! Elder Sitati of the 1st Quorum of the 70 was there. It was so great! When I walked in, I was pretty stressed out and burdened down with my imperfections and challenges as a missionary. I thought, "there's no way the way I feel can be made right. There's no way that all of these challenges can be helped. I'm just too low!" Yeah I know, kinda over dramatic. Well guess what? I was sooooo wrong! It's crazy to me that I even thought that, but sometime missionary work is just discouraging alright? haha Well, not long into the meeting, my heart was so softened and the spirit taught me the things that I needed to hear! It was such a great meeting! I just WISH you could feel the spirit of over 250 missionaries and their leaders. Man! There's nothing to compare! The spirit truly can help us in so many ways! The Lord answered my prayers and is taking care of me. I'm so grateful to have a loving Heavenly Father who knows me and knows EXACTLY what we need to be successful and happy. He's the best!

It was also fun to see people from my MTC district! We also got to sleep over at the Charleston Sister's apartment since we were going to carpool with them and they live 30 minutes closer to St. Louis than we do. It was a blessing to get to sleep in a little more even though we still had to wake up early. It was so worth it!

Guess what else?! We got to watch "Meet the Mormons"!!!! When President Morgan announced that we would get to watch it, we all cheered! We all cried during the missionary Mom's part. I just loved that movie! If you haven't seen it yet, so see it! It was so well done. I forgot I was in the chapel at mission conference. It was exactly the reminder I needed that although change is hard, it is so worth it! The message we share with people is of such great worth!

Time for a MIRACLE story! So we got a call on Friday from Kelly, my recent convert, asking us to go to Wal Mart with her and help her pick out clothes for her husband Mark!! So exciting! He has been resistant to wearing what he calls "a monkey suit" to church, but the spirit has been working on him so hard core! Sister Barret and I just KNEW he would crack soon! The next thing is smoking. Kind of a jump, but the Lord will help him. I'm not too worried :]

Kelly is so on fire! She told us while we were shopping that she invites everyone she meets to come to church with her. It's just like Elder Bednar's talk in General Conference. Because of the good she's experienced in her life from the gospel, she isn't afraid to share it with others because she knows she's offering them a really great thing! The BEST thing in fact. I think sometimes I listen to the adversary's lies that I'm doing something weird, or annoying people, when in fact, that's a huge whopper of a lie! It's the best thing ever! I owe everything I have and am to the gospel of Jesus Christ. It's a blessing to get to serve :)

Another cool miracle occurred this week. We've been working with this less active family. It was always super hard to tell if they actually liked us coming, or if they were annoyed, but this past week when we stopped by, they had read the BOM on their own! Yahoo! They also told us that they had been clean from drinking for a few weeks because we started visiting them. They came to the branch hayride and talked to more people than they ever would have before. It's so awesome to see people change as the spirit softens their hearts and quenches their thirsts. I love being a missionary!

Well, I love you all. I pray for you and hope all is well. Keep on keeping on! You're awesome! Have a super day :)
Lots of love,
Sister Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment