Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Thursday, October 2, 2014

The Lord asks us to do OUR best, not the best that President Monson can do, just our best.

Hello Everyone!

This week was so great! Our branch got to participate in a parade! We passed out over 1200 cards to members in the community. Our theme was Gordon B Hinkley's 6 Bee's. It was awesome! The best part is the branch is excited about missionary work and trying to do more. Yeah! Go missionary work! Apparently when the float rounded the corner, Kelly (our investigator getting baptized next Sunday), stood up and started shouting, "That's my church! That's my church!" I don't have the words to explain how that makes me feel. SO HAPPY to say the least.

So Kelly is doing so great! Her husband is a less active member who's kinda had a rough past. It's been awesome to see the spirit work on them. Kelly is SO excited to be baptized. Yesterday we got her baptismal clothes all figured out and she'll be wearing a white dress. She looks so good in white! I'm super excited for them to get sealed in the temple in a year :) I love them!

Alright some funny moments from this past week. So one of the families we visit has their grandkids by love come over a lot. Adi, one of the little girls, is 5. After one of our lessons this week, she wanted to say the closing prayer (she also wanted one of my "books" about Jesus. So fun!) Anyways, she starts reciting the pledge of Allegiance! It was adorable. The 13 year old in the family, Haley, helped her with her prayer. It was so sweet! At the end of the prayer, Adi said, "THE END!" It was really cool because Andrea, Haley's Mom, started talking about the importance of ending our Prayers in Christ's name. It was awesome! She just needs to get baptized! We're working on it :p

This week was so interesting. Sometimes Satan really tries to discourage you before something good happens, and this week was a prime example! There were multiple days where it kinda felt like we were just driving and walking around and no one was home or wanted to listen to us, but then we would find someone or teach someone, and it would be so awesome! The parade went so well, and on Sunday our Branch mission leader sincerely thanked us for all of the work we are trying to do. Also we saw Kelly, and she is just so prepared and so excited for her baptism! They haven't missed church in 5 weeks! That's a huge deal!

This morning I finished reading the Book of Mormon. I love that book so much! I was able to pray about it, and I know it's true! I have for a long time, but it's comforting to know it still is! It can still bless my life. It gives me soooo much comfort, direction, peace, and joy! I love having the opportunity to learn so much on my mission. Lately, I've just had such a thirst to learn as much as I can! I think it's because I'm in my last week of training. CRAZY! I don't feel prepared to go to just 1 hour of companion study. There's so much I still need to learn! It amazes me how the Lord will use just the few things I have to offer, and make something great of it. Truly, we just need to thrust in the sickle with all of OUR might (D&C 4:4), not the might of someone else. The Lord asks us to do OUR best, not the best that President Monson, or anyone else can do.

CONFERENCE IS COMING AND I'M SO EXCITED! I hope you watched the Woman's broadcast on Sunday. I loved it! It truly quenched some of the thirst I was feeling inside. It felt so good to listen to servants of the Lord teach and testify of things they know.

Life is so good! I'm so grateful for the opportunity to be serving in Paris! I'm grateful that the Lord can use me as a missionary! Sometimes I feel so insignificant and weak, but I truly know that when I follow Him, He can make me strong and make so much more out of me! I love you all. Keep on keepin on! Have a wonderful day and get excited for conference this weekend!

Lots of love and support,
Sister Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment