Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Conference was wonderful

Hello Everyone!

This week went pretty great. This weekend was definitely the Climax! Conference was wonderful, and then between sessions on Sunday was Kelly's baptism! She was so excited! She wore a white temple dress which made me super happy. We've been focusing on helping her and her husband focus on going to the temple. She's worthy and prepared, but her husband has some Word of Wisdom stuff he needs to work through. Good thing they have a year! It's been so great to watch the spirit change them. Mark, her husband, bore his testimony during her service. It was so sweet! He talked about how he knew the church was true. He cried and talked about the blessings of God. Another miracle was that HE SANG during conference! They've come for 6 weeks in a row to church, and he's never sang. Evidence of the spirit softening his heart and working on him. I LOVE IT!

Kelly's baptism REALLY got us pumped. Yeah for covenants! I spoke about the gift of the Holy Ghost. Before I started, I felt impressed to talk about how the Lord has not placed a limit on the joy we can feel. The further we travel in the gospel, the more joy we can experience! When I was baptized, I felt so clean and so much joy! It was the best day of my life until April 19, 2014 when I went to the temple and was endowed. I've never felt so happy, clean, and renewed in my life! I know that even more joy is awaiting me as I continue moving forward in the gospel. The joy will never end!

There are moments as a missionary when it's easy to see that the Lord is strengthening you and blessing you extra and giving you abilities you wouldn't have otherwise. This Sunday I saw several of those. One particular instance was that Sister Barret and I sang a duet at Kelly's baptism. You couldn't pay me enough to do that outside of my mission. I truly do feel like the Lord has blessed my voice to be better as a missionary. That, or it's much better than the singers here, so it just sounds better! Either way, it's a blessing from the Lord :)

Conference was just so great! I know every missionary talks about it, but it truly was EXACTLY what I needed. I wrote some questions down before conference, and within the first 15 minutes I was tearing up because some of them had already been answered. I felt the Lord's love so strong! I know that I am doing the right thing. I know the Atonement has paid for my mistakes, and I can have confidence moving forward. I'm so grateful for that blessing! I love being a part of this work! It's amazing!

In other news, I will be staying in Paris for at least another transfer! Woohoo! Sister Barret will be leaving me, which is so sad, but I'm so grateful I was able to be her companion. I know President Morgan was inspired to put us together. She was exactly the trainer I needed and I learned so much from her! I'm looking forward to the other lessons I'll learn throughout the rest of my mission :) I can hardly believe my training is over! AHH! Good thing I have follow up training. It's nice when I remember that really, learning how to be a good missionary is a lifelong endeavor. I won't get it all now. It'll come in time :)

I love you all! I hope all is well. Keep on moving forward. Keep the faith! You can do it!
Lots of love and support,
Sister Janea Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment