Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Good Solution to a tough week

Hello Everyone!

This week was honestly one of the toughest of my mission so far. None of our investigators could meet with us. My companion is still new to the area, so I was doing my best to help us figure out potentials to see, and places we haven't tracted, and less actives to visit, but it was just so hard! I bring it up because through this past week, the Lord was able to humble me so that I could recognize His hand more in our service. It truly is HIS work! When I'm left on my own, I can't do anything! He is the one guiding us and helping us. He hears and answers our prayers in His own time :) Whenever we go through obstacles, I know it's the Lord just wanting us to be a little more polished so we can receive greater blessings and knowledge.

One of the goals of my mission is to become the person that is happy in whatever her circumstances are! It's funny because I don't think I quite realized that meant having plenty of hard times so I could learn to be happy in them. The good news is that the Lord wants the same thing for me! I always have the blessing of Jesus Christ's Atonement and the gospel to be grateful for and happy about! Those blessings never fade. I'm so grateful for that!

So a few weeks ago we were at a member's house and making calls to find someone to drive 6 hours to take us to and from St Louis for transfers. It was a struggle because of the time commitment and also the money commitment. We were starting to get discouraged, and the inspired member said, "If the Lord told you to do this, He'll prepare the way". Sure enough, she was right. We found a ride less than 15 minutes later. That experience has been with me all this week. If the Lord asks us to do something, He WILL prepare a way for us. I know that's true! There were many moments when I thought, "How are we going to be able to meet this goal?" and the Lord provided a way. It wasn't easy, but it was worth it! The Lord is truly guiding and directing our efforts.

We have some less actives who have been coming back and it's been so awesome working with them! I am so excited about the work we are doing here! I can totally see this branch becoming a ward someday. I love the people who have been called to serve with us. They're willing to thrust in their sickles. I know the reap will be so great! I'm grateful I was able to stay in Paris. What a blessing! I know the Lord is guiding and directing our efforts and loves us ALL so much.

I hope you're all doing well :) Keep on keeping on! Have a wonderful day!
Lots of love and support,
Sister Janea Edge

No comments:

Post a Comment