Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Monday, November 17, 2014

Transferred

Hello All!

This past week was pretty amazing! It was a good one to end my time in Paris *sniff sniff!* But I'm looking forward to serving the people in Mahomet, Illinois! Guess who's in my ward? Elder Bednar's son, so that will be exciting. I'll be whitewashing which is pretty nerve wracking for me, but if I've learned one thing on my mission, it's to trust the Lord!

So this past week I almost got my first kiss on my mission! We were having dinner with some members, and their 4 year old somehow fell in love with me. I guess it was because I played with his trains with him before dinner and talked to him. Anyways, after dinner, he came up and gave my harm a hug, and went in for the kill! Thankfully his dad was right there and intervened. I saw my name badge flash before my eyes! It was pretty hilarious, and terrifying. It's a lot harder to turn a 4 year old down than someone my age! haha

My companions thus far have loved me enough to humor my desire to go running in the morning. Well, I'm not always the most coherent person in the morning, so one day this past week I rolled out of bed and got ready quickly. Just before we went out the door, I looked down and realized I was still in my pajama bottoms! Haha That would've been funny :P Not quite professional though, so good thing I changed!

Well, like I said earlier, this past week was pretty great. We've been teaching a Mom and her 3 daughters, and about 2 months ago, the opposition really piled up on them, and their progress slowed. All transfer we've been working on helping them build up their fire again, and this past week we were able to have such a good lesson with them. It was basically dedicated to helping them understand the Atonement. Andrea was really struggling with that because this past week a 2 year old in Paris was brutally murdered and abused among other things and died. She asked why God let's things like that happen. That's a tough question to answer, but because of the gospel of Jesus Christ, we have an answer! We were able to testify of the power of the Atonement, and by the end, she finally got it. She understood that Christ felt all we ALL go through, and if we turn to Him, He will take our burden upon himself and heal us in any way we need. It was a beautiful lesson. It strengthened my testimony of the converting power that comes from teaching about the atonement. It is the reason behind all we do. It was incredible.

This past week I've been thinking a lot about repentance. I used to be afraid of repenting because it seemed so scary, but I've learned that it's such a beautiful thing! We're promised that if we repent, the Lord will remember our sins no more (D&C 58:42). What a tremendous blessing to know that the Lord can heal us and clean us! We don't have to be burdened down with guilt and shame. We can be free. I'm grateful for the role repentance can play in my life.

My testimony of the power of prayer was also strengthened this past week. All week I had been praying to know what to say to help Andrea understand the power of the atonement. I was sitting in the lesson praying my head off! The Lord heard and answered my prayers. It was amazing to see that if we have faith and do our part, the Lord will answer our prayers. I'm so grateful for that because I need His help a lot!

Another prayer that was answered was that this week IT SNOWED! Granted, it wasn't much, only like 4-5 inches so far, but I'm the driver! I'm not used to driving in the snow yet. It's amazing to realize how much the Lord has helped me though because I'm a lot better at it now then I am back home! I have a lot more confidence. It's a little more nerve wracking because it's the Lord's car, not mine, but the Lord has helped me and answered my prayers thus far. I'll be alright!I love the Lord enough to drive in the snow even though it's terrifying for me :] I know that if the Lord can help me drive in the snow, then He can help you do hard things too!

At our District meeting this past week we talked a lot about conversion. We are supposed to be teaching for conversion, not JUST understanding. It's one thing to know the plan of Salvation, but it's another thing to understand what it means in our lives, and HOW we can find greater joy because of what we know.

I'm so grateful for the change I had to serve in Paris for 4 months! It's been so great. I love the opportunity I have to be a missionary. It's flying fast! I love you all. I pray for you and hope all is well. Have a wonderful day and keep being your awesome selves!

Lots of love and support,
Sister Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment