Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Best Day Ever

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all of the birthday wishes. You're so awesome! (Don't feel bad if you didn't send her a wish, email me and I will pass it on to her, cando1855@gmail.com Her mom, Patti)

This week was so great! Yesterday was especially awesome. I never understood how big of a deal Sunday was for missionaries until my mission. It is the climax of the week. Everything comes down to Sunday. Will people come to church so they can progress towards baptism? Or will they let something less important get in their way?

Well, yesterday Rosa came to church! It was a miracle because during my entire training Sister Barret and I tried SOO hard! We would go to her house and wake her up and call people but she just wasn't ready for it. Then, this Sunday, she called us 4 times to try and find a ride. We were able to find her one super last minute. She came and she bore her testimony! She talked about how she has been praying and studying for a while with the missionaries, and that morning she felt like she finally got her answer. This is the true church, and she wants to be baptized! SO exciting! We were sitting there practially dying! It was awesome! The coolest part of the whole story is that the Sunday before in one of our mission meetings, our Branch mission leader said something along the lines of, "Don't you think your mission president would want you to give up on her by now? She's been learning since January and hasn't progressed much". It kinda bothered me, but I knew he was right to an extent. She needed to start taking steps. And then she came to church! It's so awesome to see how the Lord doesn't give up on people. He's holding out for us! He has so much faith in us! He knows who we can become :)

Brianna, the daughter of our other investigator Dusty, came to church on Sunday. It was great. Dusty has been having a hard time. She came to a branch activity last week and it really helped her. It strengthened my testimony of the importance of helping one another. We need to love each other and be there for each other! Ward/branch activities are so important to help people establish a support group so they can grow more in the gospel.

A funny moment from this past week happened on Saturday night. We had planned to have a member feed us and then have a lesson with one of our investigators, but we totally forgot to tell the investigator about it! It was the morning of the lesson and Sister Willmore's like, "We forgot to call John and tell him!" It was super funny! So Sister Willmore was leaving him a voicemail while I was making myself a hot dog, and in the middle of her leaving her voicemail I SPILL BARBECUE SAUCE ALL OVER THE FLOOR AND COUNTER! Sister Willmore lost it in the middle of the voice mail. It was so funny! Beware of the barbecue sauce, it'll get you!

Kelly, my recent convert, is so on fire! She got called as a Branch missionary and sometimes I think she's a better missionary than I am! She tells us that whenever she goes anywhere, she bears her testimony to people and invites them to church. She does this with people she doesn't even know! She's also talked to her son's in laws and her other friends about just meeting us. She's so awesome! I think of President Bednar's talk this past general conference about how when the atonement helps us, we naturally want to turn around and help others. So true! She's such a good example of this!

We had a fun Halloween. We were able to see Andrea! She had knee surgery a few weeks ago, and this past week, Sister Delp (who is an AMAZING ward missionary BTW) wanted to make her dinner. (Just so you know, she likes like 15 minutes away from Paris, has 4 kids, and a crazy schedule, but still made time to do it. I know! So dedicated! What a great example!) It was exactly what Andrea needed. It softened her heart and she's ready to learn more once she heals. It's been awesome to see. Andrea talked about how she's missed meeting with us and wants to get back into it. Prayers are heard and answered! We spent the rest of Halloween with Kelly. We watched Johnny Lingo and some other church clips with her. It was fun. She's on fire!

Paris is so on fire right now! I love it so much! Truly, the field is white and ready to harvest. We just need to have faith in the promise that the Lord IS preparing people! This is HIS work! We just need to trust Him and know He has bigger plans for us than we have for ourselves. I hope you have a super day! Thanks for all you do! Keep doing your visiting teaching! Keep doing the small and simple things that help us establish our relationships with our Savior :) Have a wonderful week!

Lots of love and support,

Sister Edgel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment