Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Friday, September 12, 2014

Staaaaaange things are happening

Hello Everyone!

So I hope you sang the opening line like the song from "Toy Story". That probably makes no sense, but it did in my head! haha
Well, this week was pretty strange. We had some super funny moments. We were out trackting and a man opened his door just wearing underwear! I could hardly keep from laughing. I kept thinking, "They didn't teach me how to handle this in the MTC!" haha One of our investigators was also super drunk when we showed up and talked to us about how she thinks she's a prophetess and wants to sell everything she has to follow Him. Yup. Things are kinda crazy!

Sister Barret and I joke a lot about how there's a lot we didn't learn in the MTC. I was thinking about this, and I realized that the most important thing is that they taught us how to follow the spirit in the MTC and the spirit can help us with everything! I really mean that. The spirit helped me learn how to use a weed wacker (which I'm now super pro at by the way. Well, not really. I just THINK I am haha). It also has helped me learn how to handle different situations. How to not laugh, how to love people, and how to keep moving forward! I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who's prepared a way for us to get through EVERYTHING we need to get through. I think it's because of this knowledge that I FINALLY feel my age. I've always felt like I'm going to be stuck feeling 17, but a mission has really helped me change that. I actually feel my age! I've learned that Winnie the Pooh is so right! I am Smarter than I think, Stronger than I seem, and Braver than... I don't remember what He says exactly.. (Mom can you send me a quote of that?! That would be another good one :p) But it's true! With the help of the Lord I really can do more than I think I can.

The Work is going really well though. KELLY CAME TO CHURCH! She is progressing towards baptism really well. She's so sweet! Guess who else was at Church? Elder Bednar's Son who is in our Stake Presidency. He was super nice to her. Be nice to investigators! They need extra love!

This week I learned a lot about wanting people to change and act out of love, not an obligation to you. I am trying to change my attitude to love more people and be willing to serve them. It's a work in progress. We spent most of Saturday tracting. We don't usually tract because it's not super effective, but we wanted to change things up. When you love people, it's easier to keep going when the going gets tough. Love love love! We all need LOVE :)

It's kinda nice being set apart full time because I don't have to worry about balancing school and everything. I can devote my whole self to the work. I still am learning how to thrust in my sickle with ALL my might. Have you read D&C 4 recently? It really applies to all of us! I don't know if I shared this before, but before my mission I was super excited to sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC. Everyone talks about how it's awesome hearing all the missionaries sing it together. Well, we sang it in the MTC and guess what? It was awesome, but just as awesome as hearing everyone sing it at Stake Conference. It made me realize that the song isn't just for missionaries: We've ALL been called to serve! We can ALL receive the power from Heaven to fulfill these responsibilities. It just so happens missionaries are set apart specifically to have this as our only focus. It should be everyone's focus though.

I love you all! I pray for you and hope all is well. Don't be afraid to send me a letter! I'd love to hear from all of you. AND I always reply to anyone who sends a letter. Do I sound desperate? Probably because I am :P haha

Have a wonderful week!
Lots of love and support,
Sister Janea Edgel :

No comments:

Post a Comment