Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Friday, September 12, 2014

She is doing what God wants for her

Hello Everyone!

This week was a really great week. I keep on learning so much! This was one of those weeks that I could look back and see my progress which was awesome since there were times I wasn't sure which direction I was progressing! So as you know I'm training, and the training for this week had me do things that would normally be quite outside of my comfort level, but guess what? I did it! Amazing right? With the Lord's help, I've been able to do things I never would've been able to do before!

So funny story, we were talking to a less active that we visit periodically and we asked her how she was baptized and guess what? She was baptized because her Dad gave her $50! hahaha Well, now she's a member for more than just $50, but it was interesting to me to think about our own conversions. Do we realize that there's so much more to the gospel than just the surface level stuff? Do we realize it's not just a church but a way to be happy? Just some food for thought :)

So we got a call this morning from our Stake President's wife. She asked us if we still did service every week at the local food pantry (which we do :). She told us that she was at the gym at one of the local colleges and she was talking to a man next to her and he told her that his pastor constantly raved about "the mormon girls" who work at the food pantry. He says they work so hard and come early and leave late. It was really great to hear that someone recognizes what we do. This week was kinda hard because we contacted A TON of people, but weren't able to find any new investigators. We planted a lot of seeds, but it would good to see some other efforts were paying off in different ways.

Some culture background: Everyone here LOVES their riding lawnmowers. They drive down the streets with them with their kids on their laps. It's adorable! Also it makes me chuckle :p There also are churches on all of the street corners. We're technically not supposed to proselyte near other places of worship, but if we did that, we couldn't proselyte anywhere... so we just don't proselyte SUPER near them :P

GOOD NEWS!! Kelly (our investigator with a baptismal date) came to church again! She is so sweet! She was sitting by me and she said, "I want to get up and bear my testimony." WHAT? Seriously she's doing so well! She bore her testimony in our Sunday School class instead about how she knows that she's doing what God wants for her and she can see all the blessings He's opened to her. She is so grateful she let the missionaries in. Did I mention that she's so sweet? Because she is :) Her and her husband are making so much progress! At the lesson yesterday he was helping her say the names of the prophets in the BOM and for Helaman he told her you pronounce it Helium. So cute! Our prayers for them are being answered. Keep praying for them!

So this week we were at the house of a part member family, and it was interesting because we were talking to the Mom/Grandmother of the house, and we asked her about her missionary efforts. She said, "Oh yes, I keep a pass along card in my purse at all times! You never know." That was super great to hear, but she has less actives in her family, and even in her home. What good does carrying around a pass along card if we never open up our mouths to those around us? Our family truly is the most important place to start. It was quite an eye opening moment.

Another main theme from this week was a change in my desires. Up to this week, I've wanted high numbers to be "the good missionary" or because I just want them, but this week I really have had more success focusing on helping others more than the actual numbers. I just want to do whatever the Lord wants me to do to help His children. If it means driving around contacting potential investigators, I'll do it. If it means tracting for days in a row, I'll do it. I just want to do what He wants me to do. I just want to become what He wants me to become. I just want to be good. I want whatever He wants for me. He knows best. I really just need to trust Him. It will all work out!

I love you all! Keep on doing your best and moving forward!
Sister Edgel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment