Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

So Many Blessings

SO MANY BLESSINGS! IT's CRAZY! Heavenly Father is watching out for us :]

This week was good. I had a hard time Wednesday night because one of our investigators told me that Sister Barret was a better teacher than me (well, she was just trying to compliment Sister Barret, not offend me). It was interesting though because the Lord truly used this as an opportunity to teach me not to compare myself with others. He is making me into who I need to be! He has a plan for me, so I just need to do my best and it'll all be okay!

Humility is more than just thinking God is greater than you; it's knowing that He is the source of your strength, He is the one you should rely on, and He will help us!

It's interesting to me because my greatest moments of learning on my mission have come right after my greatest moments of trial. I definitely think that's the Lord's way. He tries us, we do our best to be faithful, and He blesses us and helps us even more. It's great!

Yesterday's Sunday School lesson was along these lines for me. It was about Elijah and the widow. Saturday I was actually thinking about this story and about how really, Elijah didn't need the widow to feed him. The Lord could've provided another way. BUT, the Lord knew that the widow was going to run out of food and die, so SHE needed the opportunity to feed Elijah. I think that's how my mission is. Yeah, maybe Sister Barret could teach better without me, BUT I need to learn how to become a better teacher so I can be who God needs me to be. I definitely think the Lord uses us because WE are the ones that need the blessings of sacrifice.

This just reminds me of last summer when we were painting my bedroom. You and Dad are master painters to me! You didn't need my "help" at all! BUT because you love me and want to help me become better at painting, you let me help paint the desk area (that thankfully no one will really see and see my numerous mistakes). That's just how the Lord works. He knows our growth is more important than a perfectly done job. Isn't He great?

I love you and pray for you! Whenever I start to worry about you, it's like Heavenly Father tells me, "HEY! Stop worrying! She's my daughter! I love her too! I will make things work out. No worries!" Sister Edgel :]

No comments:

Post a Comment