Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Charity makes everything work better

Why Hello there Everyone!

First off, I hope you're doing great! Life in Paris is great. This week I had my first Zone Conference! It was awesome! Sister Morgan (the president's wife) was so cute when she saw me. That was kinda nice since I was nervous. The Batchelors (from Las Vegas area) are going home soon. Sister Batchelor took a pic of me. Look out for them Momma in the Temple! They're great!

During Zone Conference we were trained about some of the things the Savior told people to be missionaries. I loved the scripture that said, "Said all you have and come follow me". That was so comforting to me because for some reason I always thought it was like, "Sell X amount of things and come follow me". It was nice to realize that He simply asks for all we can give, not more than we can. Some days it seems like I have less to give than others, but the Lord simply asks for all I can do. Such a comfort :)

So we were tracting the other day, and I heard the funniest excuse for not letting us in thus far. "Sorry, we have to get ready for the rain" [just so you know it only sprinkles like 10 drops after that]. We had a good chuckle about that. It made me wonder what excuse I give sometimes for not changing. "I'm the Junior Companion. I'm just too tired. These people will probably glare at us like others have". But really, the Lord knows best, so I just need to trust Him!

Today while I was running (we run on a high school track by our house in the morning) I was thinking about what more I could do to help people, and it hit me how important Charity (the Love of Christ) is! If we don't do things out of love, we're just doing them for numbers or gain or duty. If we have Charity, if we love people so much that the thought of them living without the Gospel would cause us to tremble for them, then I would be able to keep knocking on doors even if I'm not sure if they'll accept our message. I will have a greater desire to help people come back to church. I would have a greater drive! I would have a greater capacity to do more than I would on my own. What would you be able to do better if you had more charity? Just food for thought :)

GUESS WHAT?! WE had an investigator, Quinten, at church! We have 2 young men in our ward preparing for missions, and 1 of them has been coming to the lessons with Quinten. He went by to give him church clothes (lots of people don't have them) and brought him! It was great. Hopefully he'll want to come back. He seems like he has lots of potential. I was so happy when we saw him! Sister Barret was like, "Tone it down Sister Edgel. Don't scare him away!" hahaha So sometimes I get really excited... haha

Guess what else?! We have a family (a mom and her 2 daughters) that have been investigating the church for a while, and this week the Mom had some serious questions for us about where we came from and where we go after. We helped her the best we could. Her husband has a nerve problem and we're not sure how much longer he'll live, so we've been praying for them a ton. The next time we went back, she told us that she really wants to get baptized because what she wants most in life is to have her family sealed in the temple. We still have to get her to church, and quit smoking, but I'm learning that desire is the first step! It was great. Really, we didn't do anything but listen to her and help answer some of her questions. It's all about the spirit, and the person acting for themselves. She reads the BOM, prays, and understand things deeply. We are just here to act as guides! It's awesome though.

This week while contacting potentials, I got to share about family history! It was awesome. The people didn't seem exactly too excite to talk to us. We usually give people cards anyways, and so as I reached in my purse to give them the normal card, I felt inspired to give them a family history one instead. It turned out that one of the ladies was really interested in family history. I got to bare my testimony about the importance of families and of family history work. It was awesome! Yeah family history! I love this work!

So once upon a time, Heavenly Father takes such good care of His missionaries! One of my concerns has been eating healthy, and this week He totally helped us! We work at a food bank, and this past week very few people came so we had a TON of produce left over. They divided it between some of us workers. We had a food full of produce! It was such a blessing! I know the Lord answered my prayer about that. We also got fed 3 dinners and 1 lunch! That's like a ton for this mission. So many tender mercies :) Heavenly Father truly is watching out for us.

Keep on keeping on! If life is rough, don't forget to turn to the Lord. I am so amazed with how many people have been members of the church for years and have never read the BOM through entirely! If you're reading this and haven't done it, or haven't done it in a while, I challenge you to pick it up and start today! I love the saying, "The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, but the next best time is today". SO TRUE! Strengthen your relationship with God by reading His word :) Anywho, I love you all! Keep on keepin on!

Lots of love and support,
Sister Janea Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment