Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Thursday, September 24, 2015

August 24, 2015 Hives

Hello Everyone!

I hope this letter finds you happy and safe and doing well. Life is good here in St Louis. We had some interesting things happen this week, but through it all God has come out on top, so what else matters?

Alright, who's ready for another awkward prayer story?! My life is full of those. We were out walking and talking to people and I decided to start eating an apple I had brought with me. I was only a few bites in when we decided to knock on a door we were passing. Well, we ended up talking with the Mom and at the end we asked if we could say the prayer. She wanted to hold hands, so I held her hand with my good hand, and I had the apple in my other hand and held Sister Bishop's hand with my pinky (I didn't totally want to leave her hanging!) The whole time I was silently praying I would chuckle. The moral of the story is apples and prayers don't mix!

So this week I had a fun adventure with HIVES! Yeah! Thank goodness for modern medicine, oatmeal baths, and priesthood blessings. I am on the up and up! The worst night was the night after I got them. I was so stinking itchy and miserable, but the whole time the words "Watch with me" from Matthew 26:38 kept coming to my mind. The Savior invited his apostles to watch with him while he suffered for us. This was my opportunity to watch with the Savior, and remember how many people there are in the world suffering. There are so many types of suffering: spiritual, emotional, physical, mental, etc. We have the opportunity each day to watch for those people and help them with their suffering. Each day I offer people spiritual balm to calm their "spiritual hives". Sometimes I forget how blessed I am.

At this point, you may be wondering why I titled this email belly flops. Well, I will now get to that! No we didn't go swimming, but this week I felt like I did a spiritual belly flop. Some weeks things work out great, and some weeks I belly flop! The good news is, because of Jesus Christ, our belly flops can become back flips. We can keep trying! So if any of you are feeling like a belly flop pro more than the back flip master you're trying to become, remember that it can get better with the Savior's help! Life is great! There are so many miracles that we just need the right eyes to see. Be grateful we get the chance to swim! God is so aware of our lives! He loves us so much! He already has put in place the things that will help us with the trials that we'll face in the coming weeks.

We had a really neat lesson this week with an investigator who has struggled with praying and viewing God as a loving Heavenly Father. We brought a recent convert young woman with us and we were able to talk with him about what the Atonement really means for us. Sometimes we understand the atonement in our mind, but our heart fails to comprehend it's deeper meaning. It means we can keep trying. It means that God loves us far more than we comprehend! It means that we can overcome whatever challenges we face through Jesus Christ! It means we can be happy even when we're itchy :)

I love you all! I hope all is well. Keep on being the amazing people that you are! Don't forget you are not alone. Don't forget your dark nights can become beautiful mornings. Christ is our best friend! Let's watch with Him as much as we can and reach out to those we are suffering more than we are. Have a great week!

Lots of love and support,
Sister Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment