Why Serve a mission?

When I was 15 years old I listened to the mother of a close friend talk about serving a mission. For the first time I remember really wanting to serve a mission when I turned 21. I just had to hear hundreds of missionaries sing "Called to Serve" in the MTC! Time went on, and I prepared for the different eventualities of life. When the age sister missionaries could serve dropped to 19, I was super stoked! I was 19, almost 20! I could go early! Well, it turned out that wasn't the time for me. November of 2013, I felt strongly like I should reconsider the mission idea. I did, and the pieces of the puzzle fell into place :) This is all really nice, but it's not really the WHY, it's more of the HOW.

So WHY am I choosing to dedicate 18 months of my life away from my family, friends, school, and a closet full of clothes to talk to people in Missouri? Well, 33 years ago, 2 male missionaries started talking to my dear sweet Momma. The message they shared with her changed the course of her existence, and our family. I'm so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have of who He is, and what His plan for His children is. I can't help feeling like if I choose not to share this message with others that I'll be ungrateful for the amazing gift that I've been given. I've also been blessed with some talents that I'd like to give back to the Lord. As much as I love my family and the other things listed above, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior more. They have called, so I'm answering.

Monday, July 28, 2014

The Lord remembers all of His children.

Hello Everyone!

This week was awesome! I feel like I'm learning and growing so much every day! Its like a baby in a mother's tummy. Yup. I'm just a baby missionary. It's great though!

So for our weekly service we got to this community food pantry and help people carry their groceries to the car. It's a great way to meet a variety of people and show that missionaries care about everyone! Also, sometimes we get free food. We got like 5lbs of peaches and a coconut! So fun! Also, I went on my very first exchanges this week. It was fun, and terrifying, but overall a great experience. The Lord is so close to His missionaries! He never abandons us. We had to drive like 2.5 hours though to get to the STL's because we're in the middle of nowhere. BUT GUESS WHAT?! WE DROVE THROUGH AMISH COUNTRY! Alright, so maybe I'm overly excited, but it
really was so cool! We passed some Amish buggies. I creepily tried taking pictures, but you'll see for yourself that they weren't exactly the hightest quality. We're going back on Tuesday to Springfield again for Zone Conference, so hopefully I'll have more success then.

It rained this week! And thunderstormed! So fun! My first thunder storm :) It's so beautiful and wonderful! It cools things down, but then humidifies things. It just makes my hair extra curly! Counting my blessings :]

Alright, I have more old lady stories for you. Since our ward's not super great at visiting teaching (all of the active members have like 5 callings so they get spread pretty thin) we visit a few old ladies. They are so funny! One of them was telling us how if we were in Arkansas (where she's from) we'd say hello to people by slapping them on the butt! I don't think she's ever read the white handbook... haha she's the one who says most of the inappropriately funny things that only an old lady can get away with saying.

So as a missionary, people feel like they can tell you anything. Like the time they almost killed somebody. It's a blessing and a hardship. We want to help people, so we need to know their struggles so we CAN help them, but still. Mostly the things people tell us are just funny out of context it's great though.

Alright, now for some of the spiritual things I've learning. The main theme of my week is that Lord remembers all of His children. My exchange was honestly pretty rough for me. I'm still learning a TON so it's easy to feel insecure. Plus, being with the STL didn't exactly help because I felt like I was supposed to be some "perfect" missionary. But, the moral of the story, is that if we turn to the Lord, He will show us that He hasn't forgotten us. My personal study the next day was ALL about how the Lord remembers all of His children. 2 Nephi 28:30, 2 Nephi 29:7,8,14 are all about how the Lord remembers everyone, even Sister Missionaries serving in cute little towns in the middle of nowhere. Another thing that the Lord taught me was that maybe I don't know everything, but I know enough. A super great talk about that is by Neil L Anderson in General Conference "You know Enough" (or something like that). The STL had me read it with her. It was such a great reminder that the most important things to know are that God loves us, and that we're His children. If we turn to Him, He will strengthen us. Loved it!

Another talk I read with the STL was about how we each have a cheering section! There are people seen and unseen cheering for all of us to succeed! It was a great reminder of all of those at home that are cheering for me, those in Heaven, and most importantly My Heavenly Father! I'm doing His work helping people come closer to Christ so He will help me :) So thanks to all of you who are my cheering section! You're great! I'm cheering for all of you too! Keep being awesome!

This past week, a member was having some struggles, so we went to her house to try and help her. While there, she asked us to share a spiritual thought. There, in my scriptures, there was a quote that I had gotten my 3rd year of seminary. It was exactly what the member needed in that moment. It was so cool to see that the Lord has been preparing me for this moment, and to help these people for a long time. This extends far beyond just right now and my mission. Whatever we're going through, the Lord is preparing us for our future. Our past has also prepared us for our present. We can do it! He knows what He's doing. He has a great plan for all of us! Also, a shout out to my wonderful seminary teachers and seminary age students to go to seminary! Yeah! [will you post that on my FB page with the link to my blog? Thanks Momma dearest!]

Well, Thanks again for all you do! I love you all and hope things in your life are going well. If they're not, strengthen your relationship with Jesus Christ through prayer and scripture study. The Atonement can help you with every area of your life! I spoke in church this past Sunday all about that. We are asked to do certain things so we can have greater peace and strength in our lives. There are so many blessings the Lord is just WAITING to pour down on us. He can't unless we are obedient and choose to follow Him. :) Make the smart choice and choose to strengthen your relationship with Him! Alright, I love you all. Until next week!

Lots of love and support,
Sister Janea Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment